22 December 2019

Exploring Cochem Castle


At the beginning of this month I went away on a weekend trip to Cochem in Germany. I didn't really know what to expect so the excitement was real when I noticed all the cozy taverns and a hecking castle looming over the village! I don't know about you but I love old buildings and especially castles, the excitement just instantly jumps up in me.



Firstly, we strolled around the streets of Cochem for a bit, over little cobblestoned streets and past old and cozy looking buildings. We didn't wait very long to go ahead and check out the castle, which looked so magnificent!

Of course it was interestingly built, because that's that castles do - with intertwining roads and towers. It had a golden mosaic image on the side of the oldest tower, which later on we learned was 8x4m big! I had to see the inside, of course, so we went and got ourselves a ticket and we actually learned a whole bunch about it! It was just recently fixed up, explaining why it looked so good and intact! And the inner tower was actually the oldest part, with walls that are 3,5m thick.


Back in the day it seems like they had a room for everything, because we've been in about 7 rooms and that was just one floor! The eye for detail is intense and one room even had two secret doorways, to either an escape route or a shortcut to another floor. The escape route went on all the way to somewhere in the village, so cool - and convenient if your home got attacked and you need to abandon ship.
The castle grounds themselves were so interesting too, you could throw heart eyes at everything, the beautiful windows and towers and things, the gates that lined up if you stood in the right spot and the rad lantern-like lamps.



Of course there was a well and the tour guide was all like "Imma throw some water in here real quick so if you're super quiet you can hear it land at the bottom" so, there we were, being all quiet and heard this very distinct SPLASH. Like ok dude, could've heard that if we weren't quiet, LOL. That was quite funny. Take a shot every time I write quiet...



You can watch some additional video's I took on my instagram highlight called Cochem if you would like to get a better feel of the place.😊
While still in Germany I journalled about this weekend together with my sisters and it turned out quite nice. I'm excited to let some time pass and read it all back.🖤




No comments:

Post a Comment