25 December 2020

What less social media is doing to me

I've deleted my Instagram app a month ago and it's been amazing. I've been using that app intensly for about 4 years, which was mostly a lot of fun, but I've also had my moments where I just wanted to delete it all. There were always things that made me stay though, like keeping up with my friends and just enjoying creating content. But I finally did it, the app is gone and I feel amazing.


The second I deleted it I was so relieved. I felt like I could breathe and this big chaotic and messy IG drawer in my head was free to go into the bin. Yes, Instagram was always swirling in my mind and ever since deleting it I've noticed just how much it's been present in there.

Chapter 1 • how social media can be toxic
I would spend so much time thinking about what I could post on my feed, what would look good, what place I could arrange aesthetically so I could take a nice picture. Sometimes taking pictures would take so much time, without even taking into account how much time I spent editing the pictures, deciding on what order I could post them in and what caption to use. Oh man, the CAPTIONS. I could not for the life of me ever come up with a caption. That shit must've taken up so much time of my life and I was often so fed up with that part of it, but I felt like I had to. It was a whole thing.

Next to that I would spend my days off doing makeup, putting outfits together and taking a million pictures just for the sake of posting some on IG. I did it solely for making content, I was setting a scene that just took so much effort. I didn't have to go anywhere or do it for myself, so it didn't go naturally, you know? It's hard to describe, but I hope you get the gist.

So like I said, I would dress up just for pictures and it would always make me so tired. It's a routine I got used to, but I didn't enjoy doing it. I'd get ready, take pictures, then edit them and be super tired because I've spent hours doing it. I never did it for myself and yes, while it is fun to look back on and see those aesthetically pleasing pictures, the joy of seeing that doesn't outweigh the negative feelings and effort it took to create them.

There is nothing wrong with taking time to create pictures of course, if you enjoy doing it, all the more power to you! It's just not something I'm going to do to myself anymore. I'll still dress up, but only if I have another reason for it, then the pictures will be a fun extra!

So yea, personally for me it's just become very toxic and it took up too much of my time. Not only because of what I've talked about, but also the fact that there's friends who post pictures and stories and me wanting to keep up with those aswell. It just became a bit too much.

Chapter 2 • the positive changes
There's so many things I want to do in my free time. Like keeping up with my hobbies, go outside and walk around in forests, doing things in life and really be present while doing so. When I was active on instagram I'd constantly think about creating content and with everything I did I'd debate whether or not it'd be fun to capture it for my story. Taking that away made me be so much more present, my mind is much more focused on the things that matter and spending my time not in front of a electric rectangle device has just become so precious.

Beautiful things I see or little moments I have are just for me now, they're not tainted by taking pictures of it and taking time to upload it to a silly social platform. It's just happening in the moment and I'm there to capture it into my memories alone. It's so nice.

Here are some things I've noticed since deleting the app:
• My mind isn't super chaotic anymore
• I register more that's going on around me, I'm more present in life
• I'm not as fussy about appearance
• I'm more positive
• there's no weight constantly dragging me down
• I just generally feel better about myself

It's the little things, like not caring as much about my hair anymore. I used to be so focused on the way it looked at all times, because you know, what if I felt like taking a picture? I just made everything so complicated for myself.
Now I care so much less about my hair and it's given me the freedom to play around with it a lot. Because if it doesn't look good it doesn't matter! The thing that matters most now is comfort and me having fun with it. But the funny thing is that it actually looks better now that I'm not being so careful with it anymore, haha!

I'm also taking so much less pictures of just insignificant shit. I don't need to keep up with an IG story or constantly search for pictures that look aesthetic enough to maybe post on my feed. I don't whip out my phone for every little thing and it just feels so freeing to not have that going on in my head all the time anymore.

Chapter 3 • put time in happy things
I was afraid of missing out, but every time I log onto Twitter now I'm just like 🤷 I really don't miss anything. It's just a lot of noise and useless information that I used to consume so much, but really don't see the need of consuming anymore. My quality of life doesn't increase from it so why would I interact with it? This doesn't apply to any of my friends though, I'm still happy to see their tweets and see how they're doing. They are the only reason I'm not off of Twitter yet too.

It's just weird. I used to be SO into instagram and social media in general, but when I think about it now I'm like what's the point. It kinda feels meaningless now. And I think that shows a lot of character development! I'm becoming a better version of myself and deciding to increase my own quality of living instead of choosing to share everything on the internet. It's one of the best things I've done for myself.

One last thing I'd like to mention is that I also have more time to read now! I haven't really done so yet, but I've started reading my all time favourite book again and it is just so nice. I've just gained a lot of time I used to spend scrolling through timelines, that I can now use to pick up reading and other hobbies I enjoy!

I'm sorry if this has become a long post! If you read it all the way through; just know that I appreciate you very much and I hope that if you're struggling with your relationship with social media you'll consider taking some time off, because I assure you that it'll be very refreshing for your soul. Even deleting your apps for a week will bring loads of change in your mental health!

The best thing you can do is to put your phone away and look around you and do things in real life! Take walks, do a puzzle you never got round to doing, start drawing things, read that one book you always wanted to start but didn't. There's lots of things to do that can make your life much more valuable to yourself. Social media is so toxic and I'm so thankful to myself to have stepped away from it.

I chose to live my life more authentically and that's such a wonderful decision I made. Life is precious and I'm here to live it!


🖤

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations for breaking free from Instagram!
    It's wonderful that you are feeling much less pressure, have more clarity, feel healthier and more positive and happier.
    I have never been able to view Instagram photos on my Twitter feed and I refused to use Instagram due to their unscrupulous datamining, prude-programmed anti-woman sex-discriminatory breast-phobic A.I. (Artificially Idiotic) algorithms, and their lack of a workable appeals process.
    Instagram censored (took down) an ACLU anti-censorship article because it had a photo of a nude statue and censored a photo of a cake because it mistook the cake icing for nipples.
    YOUR PHOTOS (and their subjects) ARE FABULOUS - your hair and makeup look gorgeous in the photos above.
    I have taken a 6-year-long break from taking outfit photos and videos and had forgotten how much work and planning they usually entail.
    Your gorgeous photos here on your blog amaze me and I love seeing and reading the Tweets on your Twitter https://twitter.com/Lithyena@Lithyena
    Congratulations again on freeing yourself from Instagram.

    my blog (an older 2014 post with the last video I made)
    my YouTube videos
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Instagram is on a steady decline for a while now and I'm so glad I'm not there to witness it anymore! I have literally no negative outcomes to me deleting it and it's just been such a good decision.

      Thank you so much for enjoying my content! That's really lovely to hear and I appreciate your comment very much. ☺️

      Delete
  2. I got obsessed with Facebook, checking it all the time and waiting on messages "why haven't they replied to my message, they have read it?" or "is it something I've said, did I do something wrong?".

    I've turned off most of the alerts sent to my phone, I've kept a couple of close friends. I've unliked lots of the trashy pointless pages, blocked plenty of other pages that my friends share on their feed. Now if my phone bleeps its a SMS or WhatsApp message, if its a wa-ping then its messenger. I make the conscious effort to not pick it up instantly or if I do, then not reply instantly.

    I did this at the end of last year, and feel tonnes better because of it. I understand how Facebook can suck the life out of the day, but until reading your post I never realised Instagram could have a similar effect on creators / people.

    I assumed everything is okay in your world because you posted the most perfect pictures, I love your content and thought you always looked amazingly lovely.

    Hopefully you can step away from being a creator just for the 'gram and become a creator just for you.

    Love and light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to the thing you said about doubting yourself because people haven't replied yet. You start questioning things you said or just how you are so quickly on social media. It's sad that that happens, but it's so good that we acknowledge it and can step away from it!

      I have a feeling that there are so many others who feel this way, whether it's with Instagram or Facebook, we try to make it look pretty, but there's so much more going on behind the scenes. The app itself has not made interacting on it any easier either, so I think more and more people will be taking their distance from it, which I would love to see as I wish everyone the best and being on social media is just no help at all.

      Thank you for your lovely words and I'm glad I could give you some insight aswell as hear how you improved your relationship with social media!

      Delete