15 May 2020

My forgotten love for bell bottoms - and funky skirts

I haven't noticed until now that actually every piece of my outfit has at least something to do with a DIY! The top was plain black before I added a Wolves at the Gate logo, the sleeves are actually rights I cut holes in and I crocheted this skirt!
The bell bottoms were actually skinny jeans first of which I altered the pant sleeves to be wider and longer. They're my favourite to wear ever since I made them, as I seem to prefer bell bottoms over skinny jeans a lot lately.

So I used the skirt as a starting point for this outfit, as I really wanted to wear it after working so hard on it! It's funny because I realized I can actually wear it either high or low waisted, but really felt like going high waisted today, so I could wear these bell bottoms underneath to create some sort of 70's vibe. Idk if they actually wore skirts over bell bottoms, but I certainly did for a looong time in high school, so it feels nostalgic to me!

When I was a teenager my mother had made me these perfect trousers with flowers on it, which might have actually been curtains before or something, but I wore it to the absolute death. It was my favourite. I really liked to add a denim skirt to wear on top, which probably looked super funky and weird - but hey, I was funky and weird.

Mini storytime!
One day I was having fun with my friends, running about the neighbourhood and - the clumsy kid that I was - I fell. I was wearing those amazing bell bottoms and once I noticed it ripped at the knee I was GUTTED. I cried the entire walk back to my friend's house, I was just so heartbroken. Then my friend's mum went to look at it and went "it's so bloody, doesn't it hurt?" Turns out my knee was bleeding all over and I hadn't even noticed! I was just so completely focused on the ripped fabric that I had no idea I was ripped aswell.
Later on my mum fixed those trousers with a super funky stitch and I was golden again! I kept on wearing it for a good while after that and I still think back on it with a lot of fondness.☺️

So lately I've been really crocheting a lot again and after being completely obsessed with Gimme Kaya's patchwork skirts I was itching to make one in my own style. It was such a fun project, as I've noticed that working from square to square holds my interest so much better than going and doing the same stitch over a big space! I really like how this way the skirt is so detailed and interesting - and the flowers and funkiness really reminded me of my beloved trousers, R.I.P.

I've said it before but crocheting is so wonderful to do and I'm so happy to be able to create my perfect little items in my wardrobe. I already have an idea for my next project, a jumper, which I'm super excited for as I never seem to find the perfect fit of that item for me. I have long limbs so sleeves and pants always seem to be a bit too short for me. Hence me often DIYing things like that! Because when you make it yourself you can make things however the fuck you want and I think that's wonderful!

Pictured above are some process moments with the skirt and I thought those might be interesting to share aswell! I always love seeing process pictures of projects, as it can make you visualize better how much love and thought is put into things, which you might look over quickly at just the end result! Idk, I just always love seeing the process of things. 🤗

2 comments:

  1. The DIY trousers with flowers on them that your mum made for you when you were younger sound fabulous. They must have been for you to have overlooked your ripped knee whilst thinking only of the ripped trouser knee after that nasty fall.
    It's wonderful that your mum stitched them up and that you wore them long afterwards.
    That miniskirt you crocheted is beautiful!
    I love the early 70's vibe of your OOTD.
    Your hair, eye-makeup and lipstick all look gorgeous!

    my blog
    my YouTube
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all that is viewed as chic will likewise be viewed as snappy, which is the reason individuals ought to try not to transform into a style casualty, one of those people who will wear pretty much whatever's viewed as elegant, regardless of on the off chance that it suits them or not, from hairdos and piercing to garments. Japanese Clothing

    ReplyDelete