17 April 2020

Switzerland 2017πŸ”️🌿

Honestly I've been missing Switzerland ever since we left it. It's so beautiful there and the nature looks as if it belongs in a fairytale. So I often think back to our holiday there and I get so nostalgic when I see the pictures of it! I never made a blog post about it though and I miss having a place with all the pictures to look back on, so that's why I'm making this now!

I've gathered up lots of pictures and 13 days of adventures in this post, so perhaps get your fav drink and snack because it's going to be a long one!

This holiday was 3 years ago already (time flies, man) and I would have forgotten the majority of our adventures there but luckily I kept a journal back then! So thank you past Liz, without you writing it down my writings here would have been non existent.



Day 01
We started off with a roadtrip in the middle of the night. My parents in law came to pick us up and away we went. It was a night without much sleep, as you might expect if you're crammed in a little car, while stopping every couple hours for you to have a little leg-stretching break. So when we arrived at our destination I was tired as f*ck. First we went to search for a supermarket and got some food and drinks and after that I was out for the day. In the evening I guess we just had dinner and enjoyed the view, because our holiday house gave us an awesome view over the valley. Aswell as a pointy mountain in the distance which we ended up calling mordor, haha.



Day 02
Today we went to hike near the Taminaschlucht. I was so in awe with the way the water looks in this country, it's so blue and clear, it was absolutely beautiful! Here in the Netherlands the water is just dark and mirky so this was definitely a moment of wonder. We ended up walking next to that wonderful water for a while and then swirved off to a higher path, where we found a smoldering fire, the perfect place to have some lunch. We could look over the river and the view was pretty cool. Then we found a waterfall (which had rainbows!!) with a path next to it so we took our descent there, which lead us to end up in the middle of a forest where we had a little run downhill and walked over cute wooden bridges. It was a v successful day ending in us eating cake for my sister-in-law's birthday and standing in a meadow looking up at the stars. :)



Day 03
This is the day we climbed a big ass mountain and touched some snow! We started at a reservoir which was pretty cool, because it already gave us an awesome view with that enormous height difference. There was all this glittery sand along the path we took, with super soft moss on the wall and some little crystals! I was very much into a crystal phase back then and we had actually found some clear quartz in the mountains! They were small but it was so cool that it was possible to find them there! Although I think that was another day, because we had been on the crystal hunt for a couple days this holiday!

This mountain reminded me so much of Scottish nature because of the amount of random stones laying about through the grass. It was so pretty. Just aswell as a bunch of little waterfalls and streams we came across while climbing this mountain. Some parts were super steep and if you wanted you could lay on the path to just start to roll endlessly off the mountain. We ended up by a lake where some people were playing with those large horn things, which sounded really cool! It echoed all around the area and hey, we had found the snow! Of course I had to go touch it and throw my husband a snow ball. We found some crystals there too and my sister had a little goat chasing to do before we descended again. This was all good and well until I tripped and crashed into the ground. Luckily I caught myself before smashing my face on the stone, but I did hit my knee pretty bad! So after being bandaged up and being very happy it happened near the end and not on top, we were on our way to the house again.


Day 04
Right, so this day I took some time to rest, as I couldn't really walk properly and damn, the sun got me pretty bad too (love being a vampire). The others went to hike along the river closeby, which is funny because that's actually the river that ends up flowing through the Netherlands too, although it is way prettier in the mountains! Oh! So I've written the village name here in my journal and we were staying in Schluein! Me and my husband had a little stroll through the village in the afternoon and ended up at some men made waterfalls. It was so nice to just hang out for a bit there, as the water cooled us off quite a bit and we had a little look around for who could find the coolest rock. On our way back we talked about how cool the little houses here are and the smallness of some streets, you could literally not fit a car there, so adorable. Back home we played some Rummikub - which was the start of a lil tradition - and had some story exchanging to do. Turns out, both parties had a pretty nice day!



Day 05
We did a little roadtrip to Thusis today and looked around some second hand shops and things and came to the conclusion that shit's pretty expensive here, compared to our country. One store had some wifi so us internet junkies feasted on that for a little bit before heading off to the Viamala schlucht. At first we took the wrong path (story of my life) but caught on pretty fast, although it was a cool little path with ropey bridges! The schlucht itself took us down in between the rocks and it was so deep! Yet again all this super beautiful clear blue water and it was so cool to walk through this cliff-like thing and see how majestic nature really is.

After that we visited some places that were supposed to have cool looking castles and ended up being landhouses and suff, but it was still fun to look around and see different types of old buildings! We went to a supermarket to buy some ice cream and sangria and headed off to a river where we cooled our feet in the water - perhaps a little too cool haha. We found rad coloured stones there too and we had a little rain and lightning in the evening.^^



Day 06
Rain! That was very nice, as it'd been very warm and sunny since the day we arrived. I believe we were all a little sunburned - or at least I was - so this shade and rainy weather was lovely. We drove to a place that had lots of cows, which was super adorable. We tried to climb a mountain but it ended up being too dangerous as the stones we had to grip onto were wet and slippery, so we went back to the cows again! We did find some little crystals there and had some lunch before finding a hiking route somewhere else. It ended up being something of a militairy ground but it was cool, because it lead us in between two mountains with a stream next to us. Plus the sun came out again so we were able to dry up, yay.

The evening was awesome as we had pizza and we saw a double rainbow in the valley from our balcony!


Day 07
This was the day we went swimming! I was pretty nervous but also excited. There was a natural hot spring near the place we were staying so we had a walk to the lake, where my husband found some lizards in the wooded places and I think we crossed a camping aswell. When we finally arrived at the lake me, my mother and sister in law decided to actually swim and the guys went to hang out with some reading material. There was a little float thingy near the middle of the lake, so we swam there a couple of times and then wondered how deep the lake actually is, so we followed the rope holding the floating thing there and it seemed to go on for a long time. So I'm guessing that lake was pretty deep. We could see into the water at least like 5m before it started getting mirky, which was so strange for me, only having swam in natural waters where you don't even see your hands in front of you. It was pretty cool and the temperature was so nice, the water was 23°C! After having layed in the sun to dry off and write some postcards we headed home again.



Day 08
Oh man my muscles were so sore and my back had it's turn yesterday to be burned by the sun, dang. We decided to hang around in Chur and see some stores n stuff. It was a pretty cool city because one part was super old and the other pretty new, so we saw a whole range of different kinds of buildings! I found a nice dress with an even nicer discount and some glitter eyeshadow (which I ended up never really using lmao). We went into the rollercoast... I mean car again and swirved up a mountain to climb to the top. Half way up me an my husband decided to hang out there and just take in the view and the sound of cow bells in the distance. It was really nice to just sit there and enjoy it all! On our way down we saw some marmots, bunnies and frickin chipmunks! They got so close, but they probably just wanted food from us, haha.

When the others got back they said the top was awesome and had an incredible view, so I'm glad their hard climbing energy payed off for them! The evening had some thunder and lightning again, which is always nice after a warm day, to have the air cool off a bit.


Day 09
This day started off in a little village, through fields with cows, muddy hills and a reservoir. The cows keep being so cute with those bells and curiousity! I mean, look at them!! The muddy hills were quite hard to climb as it was very warm and we kept slipping but hey, we did it! The reservoir was tucked in between some mountains, as one does, and it was gorgeous. Grass swirving in the wind, the sound of waterfalls meeting the rocks below. You could walk all the way around it, where we passed people having either picnics or barbeques and it felt so cozy. There were little streams and waterfalls aswell and some mountains towered super high above us. Clouds traveled over the mountain tops, which gave it a bit of a spooky twist, there's really something mysterious to it and I love it. Oh nice I've written the name of this thing down, it's called Lac Pingiu! Apparently we also visited a place called Ilanz afterwards and saw cute old streets. You can truly never go wrong with smol cobblestone streets.


Day 10
Oh yes this was the day we walked through clouds! It was a cloudy day but then we passed that barrier and it was sunny again. It was pretty cool to see how fast clouds travel and it was also pretty spooky again, as the trees kept disappearing. I paused to take some pictures for a second and I already couldn't see the rest anymore! Sure, it's the same as mist but this feels different, because you're so high up, so it's the "actual" high clouds, ya know what I mean? Anyways, it was cool. There were loads of strawberries next to the road, which I now can't remember if they were edible or not, but that doesn't matter haha it was cute.

Back home we played Rummikub again, which occured pretty much every night on the balcony while enjoying some chips in the cool evening air.



Day 11
This day started with some shopping at the Aldi and climbing a mountain with the car until we couldn't anymore. I was still as rainy as yesterday and would probably stay for a couple days (it did) but that didn't matter because it was still super pretty everywhere! We hiked up a path past a cattle ranch and naturally walked past loads of cows again, not that I was complaining. :) This mountain was pretty close to another mountain, so the height difference of things was super prominent here and it was beautiful. Loads of birds filled the sky while we made our way through the cow filled hills. And then we found snow. Our excitement started flaring up and got determined to touch some snow again. We did some climbing and soon enough were standing in the white cold. We couldn't really see anything, as it was so cloudy, although we could see the parents way down, as they decided to stay behind for our snow adventure. It was really fun to play around in the snow for a bit, but it was cold! Logical, with it freezing and all, but it's so funny because at the start of our hike it was quite warm. While on our descent my husband found a little bird who was cold so he warmed it up in his hands for a bit and made a little hut for it somewhere tucked between bushes. We also saw a fox a while later, which was pretty cool, so overall this day was very wholesome.





Day 12
We went to go hike somewhere near Italy this day. So, armed with our lunch and umbrella's away we went. The first place we explored was a crazy path that lead us through foresty areas and over car tunnels, then to a lake where kids were trying to skip rocks over the water and failed, so my husband showed them how it was done. We drove a little further to the border of Italy and ended up taking a path almost exactly on the border! The nature was very untamed here and was very rough compared to the other things we've seen here. There was a little place we found where we had seen people hanging out and we decided to check it out aswell. Turned out that place was called the magic forest (10/10 name) and it was absolutely covered with berry bushes, so we had some fun picking them for a while and jumped around on different rocks and stared at the river. There were lots of people having a drink on matresses and stuff, not sure still why they brought matresses but oh well, it was fun to walk around! There was so much moss, different sizes of rocks and roots all over the ground, definitely a place you wouldn't be surprised to see a fairy fly around in. It also appeared to have taken my thoughts completely away from photo taking, because I have close to none from this place!

Back home my father in law made jam of the berries and my sister made some cookies, which both ended up being super tasty!




Day 13
This was the last day, so we did the last thing we wanted to do before making our way back to the Netherlands, which was going to MΓΌrgtal! We started the walk at a lake called Walensee, which was v pretty. Everything was wet from these rainy days so we had to be careful climbing over the rocks. We came across a little playground with one of those long cable swings, so naturally we had to go on it once or twice before continuing through a meadow with cows and goats. My sister in law said "GOATS" and went to hug and run through the field with them. They were pretty funny though I must say. A little while later we stumbled upon a whole bunch of waterfalls which were absolutely going crazy with all the rain that had fallen. The road started to wind up further and further up the mountain and honestly I didn't really have the energy anymore so the rest shot away, while my husband kept kindly waiting for me.

A little while later I thought I saw something like liquorice laying on the ground but it ended up being a black salamander kind of creature! It was soo cool to see something like that and I was so glad we didn't walk over it and carefully shooed it off the road. Then we stumbled across a lake with a little wooden house next to it. I wonder how it would be to live in a place like that...
While returning to the car we had to go on the cable swing a couple more times, of course, and then I almost slipped over a slippery rock, haha! But we all ended in the car with all of our limbs attached and we could start our trip back home.

It was a pretty trip back, seeing all the mountains one last time with all the clouds rolling over it, hearing about the adventures the rest had, walking about 20km to another lake, while we walked about 15km. Overall a good ending to an awesome holiday!



Wow it was so lovely writing this post. Reading back in my journal to see what we were up to every day and having a little throwback moment writing this post these past couple days.
It was an awesome holiday.

I hope you've enjoyed having a look into our adventures and with that I wish you a lovely day!


1 comment:

  1. How nice to read about our holidy 3 years ago. We loved it and are glad you too. Love.

    ReplyDelete